At Will Employment
The laws related to Wrongful termination favor the employer. In Texas an Employer can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all this is called the “employment at will” rule. However, there are limited exceptions under state and federal law that protect certain classes of employees.
Types of Wrongful Termination Cases:
Texas employers may NOT retaliate or terminate you:
- For whistle-blowing on violations or crimes
- For refusing to commit illegal acts for your employer
- If the firing violates specific terms of an employment contract
Texas employers may NOT terminate you due to:
- Your race
- National Origin
- Disability — if you are injured on the job and cannot work for a short period of time. Employer must have a standard and uniform policy of termination that is applied uniformily.
- For taking maternity or family medical leave
For a free consultation call Rick at 325-658-8000.